Official Author Site of
Now with Improved navigation to over 80 pages of information and essays about my books, space, medical policy, and more.
Reflections on the Future: Collected Essays
I've just published an ebook containing 27 of my essays, including two autobiographies illustrated with photos--the one from Contemporary Authors plus a newer one. Most but not all of these essays are also at this website, but as some are quite long, you may prefer to read them in Kindle or epub format. Here's a list of the contents.
PART ONE: OUTLOOK TOWARD SPACE
1. Space and Human Survival (1994)
2. Confronting the Universe in the Twenty-First Century (2012)
3. Update on the Critical Stage: The Far Side of Evil's Relevance Today (2017)
4. Reflections on Enchantress from the Stars (2017)
5. A Response to Some Reactions to Journey Between Worlds (2015)
6. Faith as the Focus of Children of the Star (1972, 2017)
7. Space Colonization, Faith, and Pascal's Wager (2017)
8. From the Journal of an Alien Observer (1970)
9. Tragedy in Space (1986)
10. The Mythic Role of Space Fiction (1990)
11. Space Age Mythology Revisited (2017)
12. Religious Aspects of Popular Science Fiction Films (1995)
13. The Mythopoeic Nature of Speculation About ETs (1974, 2017)
14. The Significance of Belief in UFOs (1995)
15. The Meaning of Gaia in Space Age Mythology (1995)
PART THREE: BEING HUMAN
16. Perspective on the Future: The Quest of Space Age Young People (1971)
17. The Relevance of Roots (1990)
18. The Worship of Medical Authority (1995)
19. The Role of Psi in Human Affairs (2017)
20. Transhumanism Is a Dead End (2003, 2017)
21. Christianity as Metaphor (1969)
22. The Shape of the Distant Future (2017)
PART FOUR: MY WRITING AND MY LIFE
23. Why My Flame Novels Aren't Suitable for Kids (2017)
24. The Curse of Categorization (2010, 2011)
25. What It Takes to Write a Novel (2003)
26. My Autobiography from Contemporary Authors (1988, 2001)
27. Looking Back from My Eighties (2017)
Please help get my ebooks into libraries
Libraries don't often buy paper editions of indie books -- not only are print-on-demand books expensive and often unavailable through their regular disributors, but they are not reviewed by the major publications that librarians read. They don't have the staff to internally review them, so most won't accept them even as donations. However, indie ebook editions including mine can now be obtained from OverDrive, which from which many libraries get their ebooks, and several other library distributors. Mine are FREE to libraries except for the small processing fee OverDrive charges. This includes my YA books (except Enchantress from the Stars) as well as my adult novels. But libraries aren't ordering them, because there are several hundred thousand indie ebooks available and they have no way of knowing any particular one exists unless a patron asks for it. So please do ask your library to get them.
Which book should I read first?
My novels are very different from each other and people sometimes don't realize that they might not have begun with the one they would be most likely to enjoy. Here are some suggestions for choosing where to start.
If you are in 7th or 8th grade you should start with Enchantress from the Stars, This Star Shall Abide, or -- if you are a girl who likes romance -- Journey Between Worlds. (I don't recommend The Far Side of Evil to readers below high school age.)
If you are in 9th or 10th grade, you will want to read Enchantress from the Stars if you enjoy stories told in the style of fantasy, but you don't have to read it first. And if you prefer books that aren't at all like fantasy, you should start with This Star Shall Abide, The Far Side of Evil, or Journey Beween Worlds.
If you an adult or a high school junior or senior, you can start with any of the above, but may prefer to read Children of the Star or Defender of the Flame first.
If you are an adult and the controversial medical theme of Stewards of the Flame appeals to you, then read it before the other "Flame" books. If it doesn't, then Promise of the Flame can be read first. Neither of these is suitable for YA readers, and neither needs to be read before Defender of the Flame if you prefer to skip them. Some adult readers like Defender much better.
Titles not mentioned above are sequels and shouldn't be read until after the books that precede them.
Explore My Site|
Here's what you'll find with the navigation tabs at the top of the pages:
ABOUT ME: My bio, awards, links to interviews and profiles, plus a complete bibilography of my published work.
MY BOOKS: The books I have written, with their covers and links to their description pages.
FAQ: Answers to frequently asked questions about my books and my personal life.
REVIEWS: Short quotes from the editorial reviews of all my books.
ESSAYS, ETC.: Links to all my essays, guest posts, and the commentary at this site, including the background articles on psi and medical issues for Stewards of the Flame, which are of wider interest than the novel itself. Some things are also linked under other headings, while others are accessible only from this page. I will be adding new essays to it from time to time.
SPACE: Main gateway to my space advocacy section. (Its individual pages are also listed on the ESSAYS page.)
MISCELLANY: Pages that don't fit under other headings, including one about my cats, a memorial to my mother who wrote YA books under the name Mildred Allen Butler, an explanation of ebook formats, and more.
CONTACT: How to reach me by email, plus a form for sending me a message and/or signing up to be notified when I add material to this site. I love hearing from readers -- please say hello!
Children of the Star trilogy
Book 1: This Star Shall Abide
Book 2: Beyond the Tomorrow Mountains
Book 3: The Doors of the Universe
Omnibus: Children of the Star
THE HIDDEN FLAME
Book 1: Stewards of the Flame
Book 2: Promise of the Flame
Omnibus: The Hidden Flame
THE RISING FLAME
Book 1: Defender of the Flame
Book 2: Herald of the Flame
Omnibus: The Rising Flame
Enchantress from the Stars
The Far Side of Evil
Journey Between Worlds
The Planet-Girded Suns: The Long
History of Belief in Exoplanets
Reflections on the Future: Collected
Watch for news about my books and announcements of special promotions on my|
Amazon Author Central Page and Facebook Author Page.